New Adviser for Solstice Literary Magazine

Alexis Yang, Staff Writer

If you want to cultivate your “writer’s heart,” look no further than Solstice Literary Magazine. There is no experience necessary in art or writing to join—you are welcome no matter whether you are experienced or would simply like to explore your creative side.

Heading up Solstice for the first time, Mrs. Kliphuis, our librarian at East, hopes to provide a “warm and welcoming place” that allows for creative endeavor, contributing to a balance in extracurricular areas. She believes that it is “important for students to have an creative outlet.”

When asked about what students will get out of this club, Kliphuis responded that students can “learn to take chances with art and writing” and “explore something different.” As the adviser, Kliphuis is experienced and passionate about writing. Most importantly, she “understand[s] how important it is for writers and artists to find their tribe.”

Solstice’s future plans include participating in the National Novel Writing Month’s Young Writers Program, an online challenge that dares students to write a novel in one month. Throughout the school year, all students are welcome to attend workshops and Q&A sessions held by visiting authors. Guests will include Kristan Higgins, a New York Times, USA Today, and Publisher’s Weekly bestselling author who has been nominated for the Kirkus Prize in fiction six times, along with authors Gae Polisner and Eliza Tilton. There will be more authors to come.

Meetings will be on alternating Tuesdays after school in the library. Information about meetings, events, and submissions can be found at www.shsesolstice.com.