The Host with the Most [Free Time]

The host that never was.

people.com

The host that never was.

Joey Gentile, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The host of the 2019 Academy Awards has been announced … sort of. On December 6, 2018, comedian Kevin Hart took to social media to formally announce that he would be presenting the Oscars on February 24, ending Jimmy Kimmel’s two-year run as emcee.  Hart posted that he is “blown away simply because this has been a goal on [his] list for a long time.” He went on to thank his friends, family, and fans for their support and loyalty, and the Academy for providing him the opportunity.

Following his announcement, many celebrities congratulated and joked with Hart in the comments section of his social media posts. Comedian Cedric The Entertainer specifically commented “Congrats Kev [sic] let me know if you need me to play @therock (Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) [sic] in any sketch [sic] Ppl [sic] often mix us up.” Kevin Hart also received messages of congratulations and excitement from noted musicians, actors, and actresses such as Halle Berry, Kate Hudson, Nick Cannon, and Martin Lawrence.

In the following week, however, Hart’s friends, family, and fans retracted their support and loyalty, and the Academy took away the opportunity they provided. Tweets had been dug up from 2011 containing what some call homophobic comments and Kevin Hart stepped down as host of the Oscar awards without any consideration to twelfth-grade journalism students writing news pieces about him getting the job.

As more of a flip-of-the-bird to these journalists, Hart admitted that he was reconsidering stepping-down after an interview with Ellen Degeneres on her show, Ellen. The two comedians ironically had a serious chat about the whole chain of events and Degeneres says she supports Hart’s return to the position as host of the Academy Awards.

Just as these students were about to start writing again, Hart put the cherry on top and confirmed that he is NOT returning as emcee of the Oscars.  

The 91st Academy Awards will be aired on February 24 at 8:00 pm EST on ABC Television Network, but not with Kevin Hart present in any way shape or form. Let’s hope for the sake of the journalism students’ mental health that this remains true.

Photo cred: people.com