Help Your Skin Help You.

Lauren O'Hara, Staff Writer

As winter progresses and humidity levels drop, many people are faced with the problem of dry skin— and it’s not pretty. However with the right moisturizer, you can prevent cracked and flaky skin. As someone who keeps up with skincare and beauty trends, I can attest to the annoyance of dryness. After surveying some of the female student body, here are some of East’s favorite lotions to do just that:

The first moisturizer is the Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator from Clinique. The company claims that it “create[s] its own internal water source to continually rehydrate itself” because of it’s activated aloe water. The one ounce size is nineteen dollars, yet it comes in four other sizes. Out of 596 reviews on sephora.com, it has been rated a 4.4 / 5.0.

Another recommended moisturizer is the Moisture Surge Hydrating Supercharged Concentrate by Clinique. Unlike the previous “water-gel hydrator” it contains beads and comes out of a pump. The company claims it keeps skin “hydrated for a full 72 hours,” and it’s good for “normal, dry, combination, and oily” skin. It was reviewed at 4.0 / 5.0  on sephora.com with 178 reviews total. It’s $39.00 for 1.6 ounces.

In contrast to the previous two, this next lotion is not supposed to be used on your face and was suggested for use only at night. Intensive Repair Lotion by Eucerin is said to “immediately restore skin’s radiance.” It retails for $9.97 on walmart.com, contains 16.9 ounces and is rated a 4.1 / 5.0 by Walmart customers.

The Intense Hydration Day Lotion is a cream from Burt’s Bees that utilizes “clary sage” in order “to trap and retain moisture.”  The company claims it “reduces the appearance of fine lines.” It was rated a 4.3 / 5.0 on the Burt’s Bees’ website, and one can purchase a 1.8 ounce bottle at most drug stores, including Rite Aid and Duane Reade, for $18.00.

Lastly, the Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturizer is recommended for those with acne and dry skin because of the “acne-fighting medicine” inside that can help to prevent breakouts. It was rated a 4.0 / 5.0 on walmart.com. You can purchase a four ounce container at Walmart for $4.97.

Your skin’s primary job is to protect you from the harmful influences of the outside world, but when it’s dry and damaged, it becomes ineffective. If you can spend a little extra coin, I recommend splurging on the Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator from Clinique. Help your skin help you by moisturizing and taking care of it.

Note:  Ms. O’Hara does not receive benefits or payment for her review or recommendation of these products.