How About Later?

Back to Article
Back to Article

How About Later?

A student stressing over the amount of work he needs to get done.  
Photo credit: theguardian.com

A student stressing over the amount of work he needs to get done. Photo credit: theguardian.com

thaguardian.com

thaguardian.com

thaguardian.com

Janet Liu, Staff Writer

Midterm week is around the corner. Have you started reviewing? Most people, like me, will wait until the night before the exam. Here are four common reasons why we procrastinate:

• You don’t think you will do well at the moment. “I am not ready,” “I don’t know what is happening,” “I am going to fail the assignment,” and “I don’t have the ability to accomplish this” are just some of the many excuses we give to ourselves to push our work to a later time. To avoid this, it is important to reduce our self-doubt. Instead of saying “I can’t,” assure yourself by adopting a “I can learn as I go” mindset.
  • You want to avoid discomfort. It is common for us to take the easy route. If you are like me, calculus homework and stacks of chemistry notes will make your head dizzy. I am sure nobody would want to go through such a painful experience. To tackle this challenge, tell yourself “I will do this for only 10 minutes.” Once you start, it will become easier to keep going.
  • Tomorrow sounds better. Phrases such as “I’ll feel more engaged if I start tomorrow” and “I work better under pressure” are lies we allow ourselves to believe. In fact, when the deadline rapidly approaches, effort put into our assignments are minimal as time becomes more constrained. Having a planner is a great way to avoid manipulating your mindset and timeline. Planners will remind you of the limited hours you have to complete an assignment and help you manage time more effectively.
  • There are no consequences. So what if we do it at a later time? If we don’t have enough time to finish or study, we can always pull an all-nighter and get it done. What most students don’t realize, however, is that this practice can, in fact, cause serious health issues in the long run: weakened immune system, difficulty falling asleep, and gastrointestinal problems.

Now that you have finished reading, get started on your assignments!