This Ain’t Your Basic Sandwich

Back to Article
Back to Article

This Ain’t Your Basic Sandwich

Sandwich options available at the Commons Cafe.

A. Yang

A. Yang

A. Yang

Alexis Yang, Staff Writer

Have you checked out the sandwich bar in the Commons Cafe? Did you know the cafeteria offers chicken in four varieties: maple, roast, BBQ, and buffalo? Students can choose from specialty sandwiches or create custom ones.

This year, the sandwich bar features two new ingredients: bologna and honey maple chicken. According to the lunch ladies, buffalo chicken runs out the fastest out of all the ingredients (which include anything from mozzarella cheese slices to pickles).

The lunch ladies report that after they offered “the Henny,” a sandwich that costs $5.80 and includes roast chicken, muenster cheese, lettuce, mayo, and nacho cheese Doritos, students are requesting sandwiches with chips inside.

What are East’s favorite sandwiches? Lunch lady Doreen likes barbeque chicken with barbeque sauce and pickles, whereas lunch lady Peggy prefers buffalo chicken with ranch.

Students have diverse tastes about their perfect sandwich. Some like to keep it basic: senior Alyssa Ramirez likes buffalo chicken with mayo on a roll, and junior Erin Holler likes buffalo chicken on a plain roll.

If you want to add some variety, senior Ashley Lebit prefers barbeque chicken, mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a roll. Junior Jack Rowe likes ham, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a roll.

Others like more elaborate sandwich combinations: junior Skylar Ulrich’s favorite sandwich is ham, salami, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, and Italian dressing in a wrap. Junior Lauren Indimine likes buffalo chicken, mozzarella cheese, lettuce, cucumber, and balsamic vinegar on a roll; she pairs the sandwich with salt and vinegar chips on the side. Senior Emma Hahn doesn’t favor wraps over rolls or vice versa, but her ideal sandwich includes pickles, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, banana peppers, and balsamic vinegar. Hahn reports that the sandwich goes well with sour cream and onion chips and raspberry Snapple on the side.

The Commons Cafe offers lots of ingredients to create your own sandwich. If you prefer fixed combinations, they offer specialty sandwiches. If you haven’t been to the sandwich bar, stop in the Commons Cafe, and check it out!

Photo credit: Alexis Yang