Myles Garrett Suspended After Helmet Attack

Bryan Valenti, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On November 14, The Cleveland Browns hosted the rival Pittsburgh Steelers on national television. The Browns won the game 21-7, but a horrific event towards the end of the game is the reason why this game may be talked about many years in the future. With the seconds dwindling down in the fourth quarter, Cleveland defensive lineman Myles Garrett got into a scuffle with Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph that quickly turned dangerous. 

Rudolph took exception to a Garrett hit, causing the two to wrestle a bit, and it seemingly ended after Garrett pulled off Rudolph’s helmet and the two were separated. However, Rudolph got up and sprinted after Garrett once more, to which Garrett responded by swinging the QB’s own helmet at Rudolph’s head, striking him.  

Thankfully, Rudolph wasn’t injured. However, this blatant act of violence clearly does not belong in sports, and will go down in history as one of the most shocking events to ever unfold on an NFL field. When asked about the incident after the game, Garrett said, “Embarrassing, foolish, and a bad representation of who we want to be… I made a mistake, I lost my cool, and I regret it.” Of course Rudolph was also asked about the events, to which he stated, “I thought it was pretty cowardly, pretty bush-league.” 

The NFL suspended Garrett “indefinitely” for his actions, and he is ineligible to play for at least the rest of the 2019 season. Garrett appealed this ruling, claiming that Rudolph called him a racial slur, which was the reason for the outburst. The NFL did not find any evidence of this, so Garrett lost the appeal. 

There also was a lot of people pushing for a suspension of Mason Rudolph for starting the brawl, but the extent of Rudolph’s punishment was a $50,000 fine. Garrett was fined an additional $45,623 on top of his indefinite suspension. The issue is resolved for now, but Garrett’s return to an NFL field is yet to be determined.