Waffle House Victims Saved By Unexpected Hero


The Waffle House where Reinking open fired upon innocent civilians.

According to CNN, on April 22 a mass shooting occurred at a local Waffle House in Nashville, Tennessee killing four and injuring two innocent people.  The shooter was Travis Reinking, 29, who was armed with a semi-automatic rifle. While firing through the windows and into the crowd, an unarmed customer, James Shaw Jr., rushed the attacker, disarming him and interrupting the shooting spree.  Reinking was later caught by authorities after a 34-hour manhunt.

CNN reported that Reinking had several encounters with the law in which he was said to be hostile towards police and did not respect their authority.  Despite this, the gun he used in the shooting was legally purchased almost a week and a half before he commited the crime.

The victims included Taurean C. Sanderlin, 29, Joe R. Perez, 20, DeEbony Groves, 21, and Akilah Dasilva, 23.  The two that were injured had received care at the nearby Nashville hospitals as stated by Fox News, and there whereabouts as of now are undetermined.  

After entering the food establishment and engaging in open fire, the shooter was interrupted and stopped by Shaw Jr.  Having been skimmed in the elbow with a bullet, Shaw ran full steam towards Reinking, who had paused to reload his rifle.  He grabbed the weapon, burning the palm of his hand, and wrestled it to the ground. Reinking was able to escape while Shaw looked to help those who had been injured.

According to NPR, Shaw said after being praised by officials and those who he had saved, “I’m not a hero.  I’m just a regular person.”

The Waffle House’s shooter was caught by officials after about a day and a half, following a tip that had been called in.  The Washington Post wrote that many who live in the Nashville area believe it may have been an act of racism as all of the victims are black, but Reinking has made no statements up to this point.

Reinking is facing four accounts of homicide and is being held at the Hill Detention Center in Nashville awaiting his trial, but the date is still to be determined.