The Student News Site of Smithtown High School East

The Matador

The Matador

The Matador

Stanley Cup Playoffs So Far

Stanley Cup Playoffs So Far

In March of this year, the 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs began. The top 16 NHL (National Hockey League) teams from around the country and Canada spent their whole regular seasons fighting for a spot in this several month long tournament. The fight didn’t stop then for the teams though, as they will play to keep their spots until the final game which will be played by June 24th. 

The regular season has presented many strong teams this year, but only one can come out on top. Which teams will crack under pressure? Which will carry to the next round? Based on predictions by NHL staff following the first round, the cup should favor any of the following: Dallas Stars, New York Rangers, Edmonton Oilers, or the Carolina Hurricanes. Meanwhile many teams have already been eliminated: the New York Islanders, Washington Capitals, Tampa Bay Lightning, Winnipeg Jets, and Los Angeles Kings. 

The playoffs are an elimination style tournament in which there are four rounds. The first round starts with sixteen teams and ends with eight. Every round cuts half of the remaining teams. Each round consists of seven cutthroat games. The team with more wins out of the seven is the one that advances. 

Winning the cup is an honor that every hockey player wishes to experience and is all they work towards their whole career. Boston Bruins player Brad Brodeur described the surreal accomplishment asI had never won anything until I won my first Stanley Cup.” An unmatchable accomplishment such as this goes far beyond that final winning buzzer. 

Young players and viewers watch these games with pure admiration of the strong players. The next team to carve its name onto the massive silver trophy as the 2023-2024 season champion will be one to remember forever. 

At this point, many more teams are being eliminated and heading home to train to come back stronger for next season. So, as the final teams heat up and start to taste victory, what team do you want grasping that trophy?